Thursday 22 March 2007

HERBACEOUS CUTTINGS

This is the time of the year I really look forward to. Even as the snow is coming down here in Huddersfield I have the start of a great summer display sitting on the windowsill and in my greenhouse all raring to go. I'm just in the middle of taking cutting from stock plants that I have kept over winter just for this purpose. I know that there are plenty of gardening programs on the television And there will be those who look at these posts and say "well this is only basic stuff", and it is but for those who I am aiming at its the basics they need to gain the experience to become confident gardeners. I try to include little bits that arn't in most books that mean you can get more cutting than you would if you just follow what's in most books.






First trim just below the leaf
joint
required

Remove the lower leaves trimming back to the stem to avoid
infection.


If the remaining main leaves are large they can be cut to
half size to reduce transpiration (wilt)


These cuttings are easy to take at any time of the year and should be done as
soon after collecting as possible.
A little rooting compound can be used to aid rooting but most of this type of
cutting I find don't really need the extra assistance.
When you have finished cover with a clear cover to keep a moist micro climate
around your cuttings if you use a plastic bag then use small pieces of cane or
wire to hold the condensed water away from the leaves. If your doing small
numbers in pots try securing your plastic bag with an elastic band.
And don't be tempted to see if their rooted yet for at least four to
six weeks or until they have put on a good amount of growth being impatient is
the cause of most losses suffered by novice propagators. Have a go and you will
get better, experience is the key. Good Luck and don't give up if you don't succeed
first time.

Look At My Other Blogs At

No comments: